Tutorial - Your First Recording
From Audacity Development Manual
This set of tutorials provide a guide to making your first microphone, guitar or keyboard recording with Audacity.
This tutorial has been broken into several sub-tutorials for ease of reading as there is a lot of material to read and digest. The following topics are covered and should be followed in the order presented here:
Without getting too clogged in details there should be some reference somewhere in the below steps to:
- software playthrough (where to find it) and pointing to relevant FAQ
- overdub (where to find it) and delay (pointing to relevant FAQ)
- Latency Test for getting the recordings lined up once made.
- Peter 27Nov11: This one here is intended to be a getting-started 101 type of tutorial. Koz' new magnum opus should be addressing all the above issues you raise and more ... In which case maybe the To Do (and this editornote) should be demoted or removed?
- Gale 29Nov11: I see it differently. We must at least mention software playthrough and overdub here, or people will try them and not know why they may not give a good result, or not know they exist. Decision is whether Koz's piece goes as a sub-tutorial here or in "Advanced" Topics. Disadvantage of the latter: you lose the "read-through". And Koz's piece needs to go on a user page while we decide (I feel it should not duplicate/contradict Latency Test).
- Peter 15Dec11: Ok - so having thought about this I now propose to insert an additional sub-tutorial between the current steps 1 & 2 to deal with Audacity settings. Some of that material will be moved from the existing step 2 with the additional stuff on playthrough and overdub. The current step 2 will then just focus on input selection. I will draft the new subtutorial in my user pages.
- Tutorial - Connecting Up
- Tutorial - Selecting Your Input
- Tutorial - Making a Test Recording
- Tutorial - Recording and Editing
Where to go from here
Take some time to play with Audacity. Record and edit more material. Practice editing. Try out different effects.
- Tutorial - Mixing a Narration With Background Music
- Tutorial - Copying tapes, LPs or minidiscs to CD
- Tutorial - Editing an Existing File
For more information
- Getting sound into Audacity: Audacity Wiki - Troubleshooting Recordings
- Improving Recording Quality: Audacity Wiki - Improving Recording Quality
- Editing a track: Edit Menu, Zooming
- Effects: Effect Menu
- Saving: Audacity Projects
- Exporting: File Menu > Export...
- If you need help and can't find it in the manual or the wiki, try visiting the Audacity Forum.