From Audacity Development Manual
- Set the Recording Device,
- monitor and then adjust the recording level,
- then press the red Record button.
Correct adjustment of level before recording is essential to avoid noise or distortion.
- Set the Recording Device either in the Devices section of Preferences or in Device Toolbar.
- Click in the Recording Meter to start monitoring as in the following image:
- Singing or playing the loudest part of what you are recording, adjust the recording level using the right-hand slider on Mixer Toolbar:
- Optionally, turn on
Don't enable Software Playthrough when recording computer playback because it creates echoes. To hear what a recording of computer playback will sound like, make a test recording to check the level before recording for real. (so it has a check mark) to hear what the recording will sound like.
- Press the red Record button to record for real.
- Audacity will record until you stop the recording using the yellow Stop button.
To record a specific length of time:
- Use to create a new track if there are no tracks yet
- Drag-select a region in an existing track or choose the selection to be recorded in Selection Toolbar
- Ensure is enabled (on) which is its default setting, then press Record to record in a new track.
More help at:
- Tutorial - Your First Recording for recording microphones, guitar or keyboard
- Tutorial - Copying tapes, LPs or minidiscs to CD
- Troubleshooting Recordings: Frequently Asked Questions
- Recording Tips on the Wiki