From Audacity Development Manual
- Set the Recording Device,
- monitor and then adjust the recording level,
- then press the Record button.
Correct adjustment of level before recording is essential to avoid noise or distortion.
If you are having problems recording, have a look at the FAQ on recording which answers some frequently asked questions.
- Set the Recording Device either in the Devices section of Preferences or in Device Toolbar.
- Click in the Recording Meter to start monitoring as in the following image:
- Singing or playing the loudest part of what you are recording, adjust the recording level using the right-hand slider on Mixer Toolbar:
- Optionally, turn on
Do not enable Software Playthrough when recording computer playback because it creates echoes and feedback. To hear what a recording of computer playback will sound like, make a test recording to check the level before recording for real. (so it has a check mark) to hear what the recording will sound like.
- Press the Record button to record for real.
- Audacity will record until you stop the recording using the Stop button.
|If you have just made a recording it is strongly recommended that you immediately export your audio using WAV or AIFF (ideally to an external drive) as a safety copy before you start editing the project.to|
More help at:
- Basic Recording, Editing and Exporting - more getting-started information
- Recording a detailed description of various ways of controlling recording in Audacity
- Tutorial - Your First Recording for recording microphones, guitar or keyboard
- Tutorial - Copying tapes, LPs or MiniDiscs to CD
- Troubleshooting Recordings: Frequently Asked Questions
- Recording Tips on the Wiki